Level I Resistance Flexibility Technology (RFT) Certification
Practice and Principles, Self & Assisted RFT Stretches
January 9-10, 2016
Saturday, January 9 — 9 am - 5 pm
Sat 1/9 — 9 am - 5 pm
Sunday, January 10 — 9 am - 5 pm
Sun 1/10 — 9 am - 5 pm
@ The Genius of Flexibility New York City
508 Broadway 2nd Floor
NY, NY 10012
This event is open to all ages, abilities, and levels of experience.
The only prerequisite is an interest.
This is a great way to be introduced to Resistance Flexibility for personal development and/or professional gain.
About Resistance Flexibility
The Genius of Flexibility introduces the Resistance Flexibility™ (RF) training of Bob Cooley. Resistance Flexibility advances and unites physical therapy, yoga, personal training, psychology, traditional Chinese medicine, and Genetic Personality Type theory.
Resistance Flexibility is a unique, hands-on modality used to develop athletes and performers, rehabilitate the severely and ordinarily injured, and help people of all walks of life achieve their goals. Based on an original biomechanical and energetic analysis of the body and personality, RF achieves unprecedented results.
This intensive is designed to introduce participants to the concepts, principles, and practice of RF. This includes basic self stretches, basic assisted stretches, mashing, and an introduction to the physiological, psychological, emotional, and spiritual upgrades that RF can facilitate.
This course includes lots of physical activity, but you work at your own pace. Variations are taught for every exercise allowing people of all ages and abilities to fully participate.
One of the primary goals of this training is for each participant to leave knowing at least one self stretch and one assisted stretch that they are comfortable performing for each of the body's 16 major muscle groups.
Another primary goal is to introduce participants to our growing community of health enthusiasts that are continually developing each other's health through assisted stretching and the sharing of perspective.
Upon completion of this training, participants will be prepared to begin the coursework required for certification.
The Affiliate Certification Training is designed for two categories of people:
- Individuals who are interested in practicing Resistance Flexibility to accelerate their personal development
- Individuals who are interested in becoming a certified trainer
Those interested in training others professionally should know that the distinguishing feature of The Genius of Flexibility's training programs when compared to other modalities is our priority on improving the health of the trainer before the health of the client. The true measure of success for our trainers is not what they can provide for the client, but instead how developed they are themselves - physically, psychologically, emotionally, and spiritually.
We believe the trainer must first embody the changes possible through RF before they will ever be able to provide an optimal RF experience for others. This is not a program to train normal fitness professionals. As such, our trainings provide a solid base to learn the principles of Resistance Flexibility, while the required coursework provides the rich learning experience necessary for one to personally develop, practice the learned principles, and become a proficient practitioner.
Those interested in personal development will be provided with a powerful tool to improve all aspects of their flexibility along with community support from others who regularly practice self and assisted stretching.
Preview of Concepts Covered
This course will teach you new concepts about flexibility such as...
- Inflexibility is not caused solely by tense muscles, but by the dense fascia and/or scar tissue that has accumulated in and around the muscles.
- You must continuously resist and contract a muscle while lengthening it in order to exceed the tensile strength of the accumulated dense fascia which results in immediate increases in flexibility and strength.
- Most of the increases in flexibility occur when the muscle starts in a position where it is as short as possible and then lengthened, not at the end point of the stretch where the muscle is already fully elongated.
- The flexibility of a muscle is not just limited by its own health and ability, but by the shortening capacity of its balancing muscle group.
- It is commonly thought that simply weight training a muscle increases its ability to shorten, however, the ability of a muscle to shorten is dependent on its resistance flexibility.
- Range of motion does not equate to flexibility. True flexibility includes the health of the tissue and the muscle's ability to continuously and fully contract concentrically, eccentrically, and isometrically throughout that range. Extreme range of motion is often an indicator of hyper mobility potentially leading to instability and damage of the joint structures.
- Stretching is not just a physical activity, but has direct and predictable associations with the physiological, psychological, emotional, and spiritual parts of a person.
- Stretching is not just a solo activity. Maximal results require the participation of others through assisted stretching.
- ...and so much more!
The Genius of Flexibility welcomes the diverse people from around the world that are traveling to our center to participate in the Affiliate Certification Training.
You will be assigned a mentor at the training. Your mentor’s primary responsibilities are to review your coursework journal reports and offer you guidance as you progress in your RF training.
Your mentor will be available to you via email communication after the training to answer your questions and offer you feedback on reports of your self-stretching and assisted stretching coursework.
Connect with others who have attended our certification courses, share your stretching experiences, and find someone to trade assisted stretching with on a regular basis.
Certification manual will be provided to all participants.
Assisting in our studios is a great way to complete coursework and implement what you learn during the certification. This includes:
Our trainers are trained in sophisticated ways well beyond how a regular client is trained due to their years of experience practicing RF on a regular basis. Stretching a trainer allows them to experience your assisting skills directly in order to upgrade your skill level by providing you with tailored feedback.
Assisting Trainers in Private Sessions
Learn how to assist, communicate with clients, problem solve, work with a wide variety of types, develop a person in many ways, enhance your technique, and more.
Private Assisted Stretching Classes
Reserved for certification course participants, our private assisted stretching classes offered at The Genius of Flexibility Santa Barbara are a great opportunity to learn how to assist and get assisted regularly, with guidance from experienced trainers. As a course participant, you are welcome to participate by purchasing an assisted stretching class package.
- Tuition: $750 - discount available when registering in advance
- Level I is a two day course, 8 hours each day
LEVEL I — Principles of RF, Beginner Self & Assisted RF
- Principles of RF
- RF vs. other stretching modalities
- Fascia and flexibility
- Resistance Strength Training (RST) vs. Resistance Flexibility Training (RFT)
- Demonstration of RF force
- Sample bicep self stretch
- Sample bicep assisted stretch
- Range of motion vs. true flexibility
- Interdependence of strength and flexibility
- Principle of limitation
- Principle of balancing muscle groups
- Sample tricep self stretch
- Four aspects of stretching: physical, psychological, emotional, spiritual
- 16 Meridian Muscle Groups (MMG)
- 16 Self Stretches — The Energy Series — Beginner
- Beginner self stretches for each of the 16 meridian muscle groups
- 16 Assisted Stretches — The Energy Series — Beginner
- Beginner assisted stretches for each of the 16 meridian muscle groups
- Mash major muscle groups using feet
- Mash major muscle groups using feet
- Cancellation Policy: Payments will be refunded minus payment processor fees for cancellations made at least 30 days prior to course initiation. No refunds are provided for cancellations made less than 30 days of course initiation, however, tuition may be used as credit for other events, to be used within one year of original event. Tuition is non-refundable and non-transferable upon course initiation. The Genius of Flexibility reserves the right to cancel any event at any time, in which case a full refund will be provided.
- Please note that this event may be filmed for educational and promotional purposes.
- Private sessions also available at our center. Those traveling from out of town may want to arrive a day or two early and/or stay later to partake. Please contact us for more information and scheduling.
- Wear or bring comfortable exercise clothes.
- Please bring a stretching mat if possible.
- We have filtered water and cups available but you may want to bring a water bottle.
- We will be taking a one hour break for lunch each day. We have a refrigerator at the studio that you can store your lunch/snacks in if necessary.